Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Twists and Turns are part of life and not just cricket.


Starting on a lighter note, I would like to mention a joke which is being widely circulated on SMSes and BBM these days:

Couple Silent on Bed.

Wife Thinks : Why is he not talking to me? Is he thinking of some other woman? Don’t I appeal to him anymore? Are wrinkles showing on my face? Is he trying to dump me? I put on weight at the wrong places?  WHY IS HE UPSET?

Husband Thinks: Why the hell did Dhoni give the last over to Nehra?

Well, I know that this decision of Dhoni gave a lot of us enough reason to be upset that night. What is also clear that Cricket is an unpredictable game, and a single ball can change the direction of the game!  In 1992, Pakistan were on the verge of elimination from the World Cup but went on to win the tournament. In 1999 no one was sure whether Australia would get past the Super Six stage but they ended up winners. We started off very badly in the 2003 World Cup and the entire Indian team was heavily criticized after our first two matches. We did turn around and reached the final. And then, an inner voice asked – “Are these twist and turns only a part of cricket? Isn’t this what happens in our lives too?”

Quite some time back, it so happened that I felt that i was in the slow lane in my career. Things were happening fine but something just wasn’t feeling right. And, soon enough, my portfolio changed to a new and  exciting one. What  was mundane day and week for me, suddenly converted into new and exciting times – something that I will always remember and smile back upon! The sudden “Twist” in my life gave me enough reason to get back to the field and bat on the front foot. Doesn’t it happen to all of us? Just when we are thinking that there’s no solution and we are caught in the web of problems, a sudden event occurs and changes all of it. You get stuck in traffic everyday and one day a new flyover is inaugurated, and its all solved! You were struggling with one process and automation is introduced making life better. You always struggled with this particular colleague and one fine day, he shifts to another profile – A pleasant event can solve your long term problems just about any moment. Any Ball can suddenly turn into a Sixer! Remember what happened with Russell (WI vs Eng). Was it a Six or a Catch was separated by a couple of Centimeters, or Trott's shirt.

At another point in time, my stock portfolio was going great guns and I was happy to have put my monies into best of the companies, and with each passing day, my portfolio would end at something higher than what it started at. Then, January 21, 2008 happened. After that, when it started falling, it didn't stop. Before I could digest one big loss, another big one would just make its way in.  The happy me became a worried and low myself. Just when I thought I had scored a 50, I was Run Out. Just like the pleasant “twists”, even the bad and not wanted ones are as much a part and parcel of our lives. Suddenly a  “Devil in Pinstripes” becomes your Boss. One new process is introduced that makes your life hell every day, The neighbor you travelled everyday to work with changed address – some things that are so “not wanted” but still happened to complicate things around, just like that dreaded ball which gets you LBW!

These twists and turns have left me with a lot to learn. The twists have helped me become a more hopeful person. Now any time I feel unexcited, low, lonely, I do have this streak of hope that suddenly something will happen and things will be alright. More often than not, such moments do come!  Positivity in thoughts do bring positivity in actions and results. For the “turns”, I have definitely become a more humble person because now I know that any sudden turn can spoil the party. Expecting a “turn” every now and then helps me stick to the ground. This whole phenomenon of “Twists” and “Turns” help me hope for the Best and be prepared for the worst. This Balance has helped me cruise through a lot of pleasant and not-so-pleasant experiences in  life. What I do continue is putting in a lot of hard work, dedication and sincerity in everything I take up, so that the “twists” keep happening and the “turns” don’t bother me enough. What I will be proud of is “My Innings” even if the entire match was not completely in my hands!


PS. Do share this with others and your feedback with me. pl do get in touch with me on twitter @agrawalsanjeev

7 comments:

  1. Excellent post..Your thoughts are very much true..Life is a interesting journey with its own fair share of joys and sorrows..The only thing that is in our hand is to learn and relish from the experience and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice thought & an awesome read Sir!! Congrats for the blogging innings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sir amazing thought, it actually puts a road map for one’s life. Humbleness and positivity as you wait for your turn and play the present inning is my take from this (Patience, perseverance and performance). Regards

    ReplyDelete
  4. it happens not only in cricket or our career but in every situation of our life.when we are expecting something better in life even though we get it we still expect something more or when we loose something big we still have a hope.
    ups n downs are part of us.we cant ignoe it.
    its a very nice thought sir to realise the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All Success happened in this world, after so many failures in between.

    Need to learn from Ants who never give up even if there are so many twists & turns in the way.

    @dheeraj385

    ReplyDelete