Total Pageviews

Friday, July 22, 2011

The intolerable "Chalta hai" attitude

This is a piece I had written some time back, but did not feel like posting it as it did not seem powerful enough. It seemed a bit like a crib. And I dont like to put negative thoughts in my blogs. However, a recent trip to Germany changed my attitude about this article. The discipline and the level of planning in Germany made me introspect about the “chalta hai” syndrome that we suffer from in our Indian Society. So, dont see this article as a negative piece but as an introspection one. Here goes the article.

Let me first define what “Chalta Hai” attitude means. Literally translated, it means 'it walks', but the real meaning is 'it's ok'. basically this means "brushing off things like rules because people think they don't matter”. In other words, thinking that taking some action on something or following a rule is “not important enough”. Do you think you suffer from the “Chalta hai” syndrome? Let’s take a look at some daily life personal and work examples:

1.     Do you jump a traffic signal because you are in a hurry? - Everyone does it. Why shouldn't I? Chalta hai.
2.     Do you throw waste paper on the road? - Everyone does it. Why shouldn't I? Chalta hai.
3.     Do you answer all the E Mails that are required by you to answer? –  “There are about hundred Emails I receive daily. If I don’t answer some of them, Chalta Hai!”
4.     Do you ensure accurate target setting at an SKU level for each zone? – “It’s a trouble working at brand level for the zones, If I pro rate at SKU level, “Chalta Hai”
5.     Do you set the list of your priority work for the day / week? – “I remember things at the back of my mind, why should I write it down, “Chalta Hai”
6.     Do you come on time every day? – “I stay back after office hours, coming late, “Chalta Hai”!

The funny part of the whole Chalta Hai syndrome is in the fact that you represent both the sides to crib. While at one end, you may not respond to the email where someone has asked for some info, on the other hand, you also crib when someone doesn’t answer your email of some urgent requirement. A lot of times, you don’t even realize that how this “Chalta hai” attitude is affecting others. Jumping the red light means accident for someone else, who braked hard to avoid colliding with you. You may not have done SKU level detailing of targets due to other “priority” works, but because of that there maybe wrong inventory stuck in some corner of the country. If this was done to you, would you accept someone’s “Chalta Hai” attitude? Even for yourself, sometimes you may feel that you are smart enough to take care of everything without necessarily “formalizing” it, by jotting it down on a piece of paper, but at the end of it, you mess up by forgetting something very important. When you don’t come on time, you start the day itself with firefighting, not allowing yourself to plan for the day. And that is when your entire schedule for the day goes haywire.

Above are just few of the examples on how “Chalta hai” attitude is so harmful to self, others and the whole organization. Man, by nature , is a lazy creature and needs to be pushed / motivated to work. When one of us display the “Chalta Hai” attitude, there are ten others who easily emulate it assuming its acceptable to be like that. Slowly, it becomes the culture and everybody starts adapting to this mode. This is how we promote “mediocrity” in ourselves and the organization. And then we get caught in the endless cycle of crib and unhappiness.

And this is the most significant difference between a developed economy and a developing economy. We dont even realise some of these issues as they have got ingrained in our behaviour and attitude. This is what has been disturbing me ever since I came back from my trip to Germany. That's why this article has been dug out from the archives.

Gandhiji once said – “Be the change you want to see”. A lot of times, “Chalta Hai” attitude has to be curbed at the senior level more seriously, to pass on the right message to everyone. And this is why, we need to STOP taking things lightly and say to ourselves – “NAHI CHALTA HAI, I will change it!”

Would like to hear your thoughts on the topic.


PS: You can also reach out to me at @agrawalsanjeev on twitter.

8 comments:

  1. Wow... Atlesdt you have changed my attitude towards 'work'
    Nice article...

    Thanks for sharing
    Amit Baphana

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Chalta hai" attitude is kind of so deep rooted in our value system. I reckon it's hard to outgrow it however, not Impossible.

    Personally, I am trying hard to follow a 7 point agenda to streamline my days activity but when I fail on most days, I'm like "chalta hai". Do you have tips or suggestions out of your experience to curb this "chalta hai" attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said.. It will take time.. but with conscious effort and practice, everyone of us can uproot this attitude..

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) ... The article makes me smile. Why? This is so common in India, 'Chalta Hai' will become a phrase in dictionary very soon if not already there. I share similar thoughts and it irks me hugely if I see this happening. But the problem is that we cannot solve a problem when we are part of the problem. We need to see the Big Picture. I have made so many trips to Europe and Australia and other developed countries. I feel horrible when I come back and see the conditions here in India. I want to be the change, but again how much one will resist when a Billion are saying 'Chalta Hai' all the time.
    Weird thing is that the same "Dirty Indian guy" when goes to those countries, he becomes a gentleman and he would even keep the rags in his pocket if the dustbin is not found nearby. And this behavior is not very irrational, When whole of India is like a Dustbin you would feel like throwing the paper on the road. The Challenge would be to bring the change in a country where we still have half the population sleeping on the roads... of course education is still a distant dream. Big Challenge....

    ReplyDelete
  5. You only said : "It all depends on me" and i totally agree to it. A chalta hai guy will never realize what it means to live life.

    My average sleep time is 6 Hrs but i dont miss out 6 am GYM or 8 Am Tennins or 10 AM work and even i come back by 11PM. Next day morning is not different.

    But the Joy of being disciplined gives me pride of doing things that others cant.

    Thanks for another nice article

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every piece of work we do should have our tag along. Then we should ask ourselves: Do I want to be tagged with something which is not great but just Chalta hai?"

    Great Article - Eye Opener!


    Twitter: @husainronaq

    ReplyDelete
  7. There has been Chalta Hai syndrome in everyone life. I have identified one on priority to change to “NAHI CHALTA HAI, I will change it!” Thanks for this wonderful read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sanjeev. Thank you for this excellent explanation of an attitude that I encounter far too often, and have always been mystified by. In my business, I deal with many Indians, both in country and internationally, helping the willing and accountable to start their own businesses. However, it appears you can take the Indian out of India, but it is very difficult to take India out of the Indian.
    The unfortunate truth of this matter is that it creates massive amounts of distrust, and frustration among outsiders like myself, and even expatriate Indians who have shed this attitude express embarrassment of their motherland and frustration with their own countrymen and women.
    One of my Business Mentors (Tarun Gupta), who is himself of Indian heritage recently commented "I believe [Chalta Hai is] the reason folks in such countries are struggling to rise above the life of mediocrity, despite of abundance of resources and opportunities available to them."
    Thank you again for such a excellent explanation!
    And if there are any ambitious Indians WITHOUT the Chalta Hai Syndrome among you, you are welcome to contact me - we have some opportunities open at the moment.

    ReplyDelete